Logo Logo
Sort by area - - and Classification -
3 of 56
Rushville - Plains Theatre
The Historic Plains Theatre was erected in 1914, by prominent Rushville businessman, David Gourley and became the Gourley Opera House. At the time it was built the theatre was one of the most modern such establishments in the western half of the state. The upstairs was later converted to a movie house; downstairs was used as a dance hall and roller rink.
The Plains closed in the 60's and gradually fell into disrepair. In the 90's local business people and volunteers began the slow process of restoration. Today, the theater is listed on the Nebraska Historic Register and since 1998 it has served as the home for the Sheridan County Players, a non-profit theatre company.
In 2001 the Players were recognized by the Governor as a leader in Rural Economic Development.