Homepage
 
Camp Sheridan and Spotted Tail Agency Historical Marker
Hay Springs NE 
 
Located in the Hay Springs City Park, this sign provides some information about Camp Sheridan and Spotted Tail Agency.
About ten miles north are the sites of Spotted Tail Agency and Camp Sheridan. Named for Brule Sioux Chief Spotted Tail, the agency was built in 1874 to supply treaty payments, including food, clothing, weapons, and utensils, under the terms of the 1868 Fort Laramie Treaty. The army established Camp Sheridan nearby to protect the agency.
Spotted Tail Agency was generally quiet and peaceful throughout the Indian War of 1876-77. Crazy Horse surrendered there on September 4, 1877, after fleeing Red Cloud Agency. He was stabbed to death the next morning while being imprisoned at Camp Robinson, but his parents returned his body to Camp Sheridan for burial.
Camp Sheridan Historical Marker

<< Back